Prepaid sat phone - comments wanted

I just got some interesting quotes for a sat phone with Inmarsat. It has a prepaid option with 100 minutes for $100 and valid for 730 days.

We do not want one to be able to do anything other than receive calls and be able to make them in an emergency or for mechanical assistance et. No internet text or any of that stuff. Anywhere in the "outback". That top spot just the other side of the black stump.

I am interested in comments about both Inmarsat service and coverage etc. And especially from anyone who has one.

Satellite phone info

Phil

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 15:06

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 15:06
On first looks it appears to be out of the USA which doesn't really mean too much - I'm doing a bit of looking into it as the idea of a prepaid seems good for the type of use I would put it to. If I get any info I'll post back. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 439514

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 15:29

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 15:29
I am all ears.

Yes it is ex USA. They have sent others over here as well.

Phil
FollowupID: 711397

Reply By: Going Bush - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 18:42

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 18:42
I have an Inmarsat service, Old technology Thrane & thrane phone & its very good . Call quality is just like a landline , barely any delay - infact the handset is an ex telstra phone that used to be provided at subsidised rates to customers who were unable to be provided a Landline or Mobile service ( most of outback australia) thus it has a provision for an ordinary house handset or fax to be plugged into it. No internet or sms, Downside with this paticular handest is its no good on the move - you have to stop & set it up , point the antenna to the satellite - which is very easy & perfect once you set up camp. Anyway I got the prepaid service from NSW based http://www.marlec.com.au/Airtime.htm

a perfect option and you dont have to spend a squillion dollars.

there was nowhere on our 3 month round Australia trip that we could not get it to work
AnswerID: 439532

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:36

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:36
We are going to apply for the subsidy so it has to be via an approved business and I believe it has to be a new phone also. So 2nd hand ones are out.

But can you tell me what you think of the Inmarsat coverage itself?

Phil
FollowupID: 711434

Follow Up By: Going Bush - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:54

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:54
The only areas in the globe not covered by Inmarsat are the polar caps, I got full 5 bar coverage all over Aust , Even full WA coast via the POR (Pacific Ocean Region) satellite, tho the Dish was only about 15 deg elevation it still had room to move, no need to switch to switch to the IOR satellite. using a $200 ebay phone and a $250 plan which included $180 calls I saw no reason to bother with subsidies, BTW incoming calls are not charged.
FollowupID: 711437

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 09:59

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 09:59
I thought Inmarsat would have good coverage. They seem to have been around for a while and know what they are doing.

I am not greatly worried about the dollars. You can't take it with you. It's an investment for after I have gone. Another reason to buy something that is "more compatable", if there is such a term, with todays technology. Yep I have the big "C".

So the boss has more input than me. Its basically for her anyway and she is working as I can't.

Thanks mate

Phil
FollowupID: 711444

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 20:31

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 20:31
Hi Phil
Have you had a look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/THURAYA-SO-2510-Satellite-Phone-NEW-BOXED-PREPAID-SIM-/140412852637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item20b142199d#ht_4063wt_905

I know one person in WA that purchased one and was very happy with the unit. I have been watching these unit for some time and they have dropped in price with the good Australian Dollar by more than $100

Something to consider.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 439544

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:42

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:42
Very little between them and the one I am thinking of. Main thing is that the prepaid only lasts for 1 year. The number of calls we would make would mean we would lose a lot of it each year. We are not interested in "continuous" contact with home. Our mob works on the principle - "No news = Good news". Always have. Thus so far we prefer the long prepaid life.

But we will see.

I have a Thuraya in my ebay watch list as well. I have also been watching them. But you have to get it through a shop to be able to claim the subsidy. So ebay and paypal are out. But its good to have all the info available.

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 711435

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:28

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:28
we have the "TR Telecom" account, switch on, switch off account at $30 a month, we will most probally keep it on for a few years now due to our present location but is just a thought for you to also look at, we got the Iridium on the "remote" subsidy
AnswerID: 439615

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:34

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:34
i do have a question on "pre paid"....... is it flexable to allow for a situation where you are stuck and use up the $100 bucks quickly (sat phone calls $$$$) and you have problems charging the "pre pay" ...... it is one reason i bit the bullet and went the "account" but i never looked that hard into pre pays ....
Cheers
Joe

FollowupID: 711507

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:57

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:57
I think we will stick to the pre paid. If its an emergency then I would ask them to call me back or I am using a 000 number or use one of the sons as an intermedary. 100 minutes is long enough as the phone would rarely be used. So I think $30 a month is a waste for us. Thats $360 a year instead of $100 for two years.

Thanks for the idea

Phil
FollowupID: 711512

Sponsored Links